Ever wondered where pearls were first discovered? How about the most expensive pearl in the whole world? In this article, I'll share to you some fun pearl facts that would surely interest you.
1. Pearl is the birthstone for the month of June as well as for the zodiac signs Gemini and Cancer.
2. Pearls are considered as organic gems. They are formed inside mollusks such as oysters.
3. The name Margarita means pearls.
4. La Peregrina is regarded as one of the most famous pearls in the world. It's a pear shaped pear with the size of a pigeon's egg. Famous owners of this pearl includes Philip II of Spain, Napoleon III, Mary Tudor and Elizabeth Taylor.
5. Chinese use pearls as medicines for thousands of years.
6. The Persian Gulf was one of the major sources of natural pearls for centuries.
7. According to legends, Cleopatra dissolved a pearl in wine and drank it to prove her love for Marc Antony.
8. Vitellius, a Roman general was said to have financed an entire military campaign just by selling one of her mother's pearl earrings.
9. The process of forming a solid pearl takes up to seven to eight years.
10. The darker the color of the pearl, the more expensive it is.
11. It is believed that brides wearing pearls on her wedding would promote marital bliss.
12. Black pearls are considered to be one of the rarest gems on Earth.
13. Natural pearls are composed of 100% calcium carbonate and conchiolin.
14. Queen Margherita of Savoy of Italy owned one of the most famous collections of natural pearls.
15. Pearls come in eight basic shapes: round, semi-round, button, drop, pear, oval, baroque, and circled.
16. The larger and the rounder the pearl, the more valuable it is.
17. Akoya pearls are considered as the original Japanese cultured pearls.
18. False or faux pearls may have high surface shine.
In search of the perfect pearl necklace? Laguna Pearl offers only the highest quality and the broadest selection of pearl jewelry. Our selection of products includes pearl necklaces, earrings, bracelets, rings, and many more. At Laguna Pearl, the quality of our pearls is our number one priority.
Video Source: Youtube
Images supplied and available to download from Dreamstime.com